Thursday, September 24, 2009

Before I Even Begin Second Life....

Before I even begin engaging and teleporting in Second Life, I must say how wary and how suspicious I am of this program and even the concept of this program. Personally, I have many troubles juggling my first life. Teaching in only my second year, I still have TONS of things to iron out and figure out. Also, as a young male in his 20s, I have THOUSANDS of questions to still answer.

When I first started Twitter, I did not enjoy it, however, I now see the merit in having a place to speak to people from all over the world. I am able, every Tuesday, to chat with teachers all around the world on edchat. Second life is supposed to be the same concept I guess, except in my opinion it takes the concept to extremes. What I do not understand is, if Twitter can essentially do almost the same things as Second Life, why must I have an avatar and a second life, when I could just tweet it?

I guess the idea of having some type of internet version of myself just freaks me out. This is probably due to my generation, my upbringing, etc., however it is extremely hard to turn off my blinders this time.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, this is strange new stuff. But, as a teacher in the early 21st century, you have the opportunity to be a pioneer in your field. It's up to you whether or not to take the plunge.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete